Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Historical Investigation, Day 2 - Class Recap

Another picture from my Spring Break trip to Washington, D.C. in 2010: this is the National Archives building, where the original copies of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution are held. Those are extremely important documents for historians researching the American Revolution!

Hi everyone,

One more class to go until Spring Break! Lots of work to do until then (and probably some during the break, too). Here's what we did today in class:

Learning Targets: 
Knowledge LT 20: I can explain the impacts of nationalism and revolutionary movements.
Communication LT 3: I can effectively use the conventions of writing.
Research LT 1: I can develop and refine a research question or topic.
Research LT 3: I can responsibly and accurately cite sources.
Critical Thinking LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems and concepts.

Soundtrack: "World Peace" by Rihanna. Selected for today because I was wishing you had a peaceful time with your Explore test yesterday! Lyrics here.

AGENDA 3/18/15:
News Brief - Nam
Research Questions
Finish Part A
Computer Lab S219

Homework: Read the blog! Turn in your Part A research question paragraph ASAP if you did not today. Start working on research for Part B! Next news brief: Elden.
---
News Brief: Nam had the news brief today and selected this story to talk about: BBC.com - Tunis attack: Gunmen kill tourists in museum rampage. This was a breaking news update this morning. I noted that Tunisia is where the desert/Tattooine scenes of Star Wars were filmed, and that I would like to go there some day. More hard news for a region that has seen so much of it.

Elden was selected for the next news brief.

We also talked about our weekends and the Explore test before moving on for the day.

Research Questions: For this section, I explained how to do research using the Westview Library Website - particularly the Gale Power Search tool. If you can access the internet at home to research for your project, here is the guide for the login and password information that I showed in class.

Finish Part A/Computer Lab S219: After explaining all of this, we headed over to S219 to finish Part A. I wanted to make sure that I approved each research question before you moved on to writing out the whole paragraph for Part A. Hopefully, everyone was able to complete this in class. If not, email it to me ASAP, please. Also, this could have been a time you were looking at what to do for Part B.

I am really looking forward to the Diversity Assembly tomorrow, and you should too! See you on Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Can I start on part B? Or do we need additional stuff to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce,

      I am going to give you a form for taking notes on Part B, and a guide to do citations, as well as link to an example paper. But it cannot hurt to start your research! Use the library website to try and find good sources, as well as Google Scholar (I will talk more about this next class, too). I am trying not to overwhelm everyone with information! One step at a time!

      Delete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so don't worry if you don't see yours pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)